What we need to know about Registration of Trademarks in Ukraine?
Rate this article
Ukraine is a member of Paris Convention, Trademark Law Treaty, Singapore Treaty, Madrid Agreement, Madrid Protocol, Nice Agreement and Vienna Agreement.
The Applicant of a trademark can be natural person and legal entity.
You can file a trademark: verbal, device, combined (verbal + device), three-dimension, sound.
Also you can register color or combination of colors, collective, well-known, service trademarks.
The following trademarks can not be registered:
- The trademarks contrary to moral standards or public order;
- The trademarks contain generic terms;
- The trademarks contain names, flags or symbols of states, nations, regions, or of international organizations;
- Non-distinctive trademarks absent a showing of acquired distinctiveness (secondary meaning);
- The trademarks that function principally as surnames;
- The trademarks that function principally as geographic location names (but not Geographic Indications or Appellations of Origin);
- The trademarks which are similar to the earlier registered marks;
- The trademarks which are in near resemblance to the registered mark;
- The trademarks which contain company name which is famous in Ukraine;
- The trademarks which contain the industrial design of other person;
- The trademarks which contain the protected objects of copyright.
The terms of trademark registration:
- The standard registration is 12-18 months;
- Accelerated examination is 7-9 months;
- Extra accelerated examination is 4.5 - 5.5 months.
The process of registration of trademark includes:
- The filing an application;
- Formal examination;
- Substantive examination;
The necessary information for registration of trademark:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- The image of trademark;
- Description of trademark;
- List of goods/services;
- Representation of trademark (a depiction of the mark an applicant seeks to register);
- Power of attorney (simply signed, non legalization).
How to Register a Trademark
Granting of a Well-Known Trademark
Registration of Domain Names in Ukraine
Outline of Grounds for Trademark Refusal in Ukraine